Well, because we made Lemon Meringue Pie and had some left over lemon rind I decided to get creative so we could use it up! I love almond meal in cooking, baking with almond meal is always so dense and delicious. I knew that there were some Italian biscuits that used almond meal and egg and icing sugar (my friend Julia had made me some one year for Christmas) and I googled till I came up with this recipe from Best Recipes.
5 egg whites
500g almond meal
300g caster sugar
the rind of 1 1/2 lemons (you could probably do this to taste, 2 would be fine I think)
150g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Separate eggs and keep yolks for another recipe.
2. Zest the lemon (grate the rind off the skin).
3. Combine egg whites, almond meal, caster sugar and rind in a large mixing bowl, stir with a spoon till combined.
4. Roll tablespoons of mixture in your hand to make a ball and then roll these balls in icing sugar.
5. Place on tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or till golden.
6. Enjoy now or freeze for later.