This recipe is from Shauna Niequist’s book, Bread and Wine. The lovely Jill gave it to me because she (Shauna) loves food and is married to a musican … two things we share. I enjoyed the book and thought I would have a go at making this very simple recipe (the first one in the book!). It is a pretty generous recipe, quite flexible and seems like it would work with lots of variations (think different fruit, think different nuts …). It was the first recipe I cooked in a very pretty baking dish that the same lovely friend gifted me with a few weeks ago. It was shared round our little table with friends. What a lovely collision of good things!
2-3 cups frozen blueberries
1 cup chopped plums
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds (the original recipe used pecans)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup brown sugar (the original recipe used maple syrup)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (I just did a sprinkle)
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Pour the berries into a smallish baking dish. Chop the plums and add to the dish too.
3. Chop the almonds so they are half-way between fine and chunky.
4. Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl.
5. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit.
6. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or till the topping is golden and the fruit bubbling. I did about 25-30 minutes and then left it in the fridge and did the last 5-10 minutes just before serving.
7. Serve with vanilla bean gelato for dessert, or perhaps some yoghurt or custard for a more homely, everyday treat!