I’ve never been much of coleslaw fan but had some cabbage at home and saw a recipe in a recent Feast magazine that had buttermilk in it. I had buttermilk in the fridge! What a good way to use it up when there wasn’t enough left for muffins or pikelets! This recipe could also be added to and tweaked but I was really happy with the dressing, hope you like it!
1 1/2 carrots grated
1 handful of baby spinach finely chopped
4 fresh baby beetroot
1/4 cup chopped almonds
a sprinkling of currents
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1. Finely slice the cabbage.
2. Grate the carrots.
3. The baby beetroot in this salad was roasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper. However, it could easily be boiled or grated fresh in stead. The grating will just make the whole salad more pink in appearance … it will probably taste a bit fresher though. Your choice!
4. Chop the almond and the shallot.
5. Make the dressing by combining the three ingredients and whisking with a fork.
6. Toss the cabbage, carrots, beetroot, nearly all the almonds and currents with the dressing in the serving bowl.
7. Top with the shallot and left over almonds. Enjoy!