… or Cauliflower Cheese. It is originaly from the Australian Women’s Weekly Dinner Party cookbook and has become a family favourite and very yummy. The ultimate comfort food and a great way to jazz up vegetables and to make an occasion of a meal!
1 small cauliflower
1/3 cup (40g) plain flour
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg (do this! … but if you are in a rush it is optional and will still be totally delicious!)
2 cups (500ml) milk
125g grated cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons grated parmesan
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
30g grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons of melted butter or olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Cut cauliflower up into small florets. Steam or microwave till just tender.
3. Make the sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. Once it has all been melted, add the flour and cook till the flour looks a little like wet sand and the mixture begins to bubble nicely. The nutmeg can be added now.
4. Gradually add milk, stir till sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat and cook for another minute.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spread half the sauce over the base of an oven proof dish. Place the cauliflower pieces on top. Cover with the rest of the sauce.
7. Mix up the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the cauliflower and white sauce.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till golden brown.