“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed are those who take refuge in him. Fear the LORD, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing.” Psalm 34:8-9
Back in the saddle again. This year my subject load is smaller and I just get to focus on teaching Food. One of the lovely perks of the job is to be able to spend time baking biscuits or something else yummy at home and being able to claim you are ‘working’ or at least preparing for work!
Silliness aside, doing some extra study the last few years I have grown in my understanding of what food is and means. This year, I am really trying to teach food ‘big’. Share with my students a big understanding of what food can be, what it offers individuals and greater human society. I hope that they grow to see that food is …
– an agricultural product: from the land,
– physical sustenance: necessary for bodily health,
– spiritual sustenance: Biblical symbol of our needing God,
– community ‘glue’: brings people together and also a
– medium for expression: culture and art.
I might share some of our thoughts and recipes along the way!