This is the Chicken Caesar Salad that we make at home … it was conceived by Fast Ed and was demonstrated by him on Better Homes & Gardens 27.11.05, although since using it to teach my Year 9 students about hygienic preparation of both raw chicken and salad ingredients for several years, the method has been slightly adapted! I particularly adapted it this time as I needed to use up some of my not-so-successful sourdough (see a few posts back!). At home we sometimes made it with rye bread and that was also tasty. Turns out it made quite delicious croutons (as did the almost-failed-pumpkin-scones, but they were used in another salad!). Hope you enjoy it as much as the Year 9s and I do!
1 chicken breast
1-2 small cos lettuce (1/2 a large one)
1/2 baguette bread stick (however I used the sourdough I made a little while ago toasted as croutons!)
vegetable oil (eg. olive or grapeseed)
Chili, salt and garlic spice mix
4 rashers bacon
Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 Tbs olive oils
2 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper
1. Slice chicken breast into strips approximately 1.5cm by 3cm.
2. Heat a little oil in a fry pan, pan fry the chicken pieces slowly till golden and cooked though.
3. Drain on plate covered with kitchen towel, cover with a plate till ready to serve.
4. Soft boil the eggs, see instructions below.
5. Chop the cos lettuce leaves roughly, place in a large serving bowl.
6. Defrost the sourdough after removing from its hiding place in the freezer. Paint with a little oil and sprinkle with spices and salt. Bake in a moderate oven till golden and crispy.
7. Slice up the bacon 5mm thick, and then dice.
8. Fry the bacon in a fry pan with a little oil till browned and crispy (if using bread that is less deep and meaningful than very heavy sourdough, this can be fried off in the fry pan before the bacon instead of being oven toasted).
9. Drain the bacon (and bread) on greaseproof paper.
10. Make the dressing: mash the eggs using a fork in a medium bowl, add other dressing ingredients to the eggs, combine.
11. Add the baguette slices/croutons, chicken and ham to the lettuce. Add the salad dressing and toss to combine all ingredients.
12. Shave cheese and sprinkle over the top of the salad.
How to soft boil an egg –
1. Fill the saucepan with enough cold water to cover the eggs
2. Fill a bowl with cold, iced water and set aside
3. Bring it to boil over high heat. When boiling, add the eggs gently.
4. Boil for 4:30-5 mins (start timing the cooking once the water starts to boil)
5. Remove eggs gently from saucepan and gently place in chilled water
*Variation: boil for 8-9 mins for hard boiled eggs.